Fri, 25 Sep 2020

DTI readies MSMEs for international market

Philippine Information Agency
10 Dec 2019, 16:38 GMT+10

TUGUEGARAO CITY, Cagayan, Dec. 10 (PIA) - - The regional director of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) region 2 said there are potential products that are export-ready in terms of quality and packaging but need to comply with the necessary requirement to pass the international standards of exporting products.

Regional Director Leah Pulido-Ocampo said aside from the 'fossilized flower', a brand carrier from Maddela, Quirino province that is now making a name in the global market, there are other products that are indirectly exported.

She said there are a lot of local products from Cagayan Valley Region that are potential and could be developed for export such as local mangoes, peanuts, milk candy, turmeric, dragon fruit, sea glass jewelries and some other locally processed foods.

At present, the regional director said that the DTI is assisting those MSMEs that are indirectly exporting products. "We believe that we just need to assist them to comply with the standards," Ocampo said.

In May this year, Isabela province has started to export quality native mangoes produced by Isabela mango farmers where at least 75 boxes or equivalent to 1, 200 kilos of quality mango products have been exported to Dubai.

On the other hand, Ocampo reported that the assisted Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) in the region has 97 percent success rate. The remaining 3 percent, she added, is due to non-functionality because of conflict within the organization.

"We are doing good in the region because our target only for this year is 95 percent success rate but we are beyond the target," she said.

Ocampo also encouraged individuals and organizations who want to venture on MSME developments to avail of assistance from DTI region 2 to improve their productions. (MDCT/OTB/PIA 2-Cagayan)

More Fort Worth News

Access More

Sign up for Fort Worth News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!